There are five outdoor gyms located in parks across the borough, as detailed below. Please download a PDF for specific information on the equipment in each park:
- Loughgall Country Park, Loughgall
- Palace Demesne, Armagh
- Solitude Park, Banbridge
- Kinnego Marina, Craigavon
- Portadown Peoples Park, Portadown
The gyms are entirely free to use and are suitable for those aged 14 years and older, from experienced gym-goers to beginners
The equipment offers users of the park an opportunity to increase their physical activity. Health benefits include:
- Improved cardiovascular health
- Improved strength
- Flexibility and endurance
- Increased levels of Vitamin D
- Improve mood, reduce anxiety and protect against depression
Types of equipment you might find in an Outdoor Gym
Lat Pull Down/Shoulder Press
- Good introduction to strength work
- Also popular with already active people
- Users can increase their resistance by lifting their feet or using one hand
- All the benefits of a squat with support
- Lower body strength and toning equipment
- Targets the major muscles in the legs and works glutes
- Inclusive for families, older people, beginners, and active people
- Cardiovascular workout – Step up/down or jump on different height levels to suit your physical needs
- Upper body strength and tone exercises for all ages
- Inspires creative circuits and play
- Cardiovascular health and fitness benefits
- Builds strength and tone in legs and arms
- Low impact for inactive users, older people and people with health conditions
- Inclusive for all abilities
- Builds upper body strength, especially shoulders, arms and back
- Builds hand eye coordination and agility
- Intergenerational – it offer something for all ages and encourages families to come together.
- Family-friendly play
- Good for people new to exercise
- Wheelchair accessible
- Great cardiovascular benefits of wheelchair users, able bodied users and people with lower body mobility issues
- Cardiovascular workout
- Great of people new to exercise and the moderately active
- Boosts confidence
- Build for popularity of cycling
Who can use an Outdoor Gym?
Outdoor gyms can be used by those aged 14 years and above from experienced gym-goers to beginners. Please seek medical advice before using an Outdoor Gym.
Will there be a charge for using the gym?
No, outdoor gyms are FREE to use.
Loughgall Country Park has a small car parking charge on entry.
What do I need to wear or bring with me?
- Suitable clothing for the weather.
- Suitable footwear.
- Sweat towel to wipe down the machines after use.
- Water, it is essential to drink plenty while exercising.
- Bring a friend or family member, make exercise social.
Will there be toilets and changing facilities available?
All locations have toilets close by, but not all have changing facilities, so please arrive dressed to exercise.
Do I need to be shown how to use the equipment?
No, all equipment has clear guidelines for proper use and information on which part of the body it is benefitting.